5 Fabulous Fat Facts You Need to Know
Fat is not just the jiggly stuff around your belly and thighs. It’s a nutrient every person needs to stay healthy. Surprised? Most people are, considering “fat” is like a four-letter word today. But as you learn more about nutrition, you’ll realize fat is something you can’t live without.
You need a certain amount of good dietary fats to stay healthy. These pour on the benefits without packing on inches or wreaking havoc in your arteries. In fact, the good fats found in nuts, plants, and fish deliver a slew of benefits to your body.
- When you exercise, you use carbs for energy for the first 20 minutes. But then it’s the calories from fat that give you the power you need to keep going.
- Your body can’t absorb vitamins A, D, E, and K without fat. That’s why they’re called fat-soluble vitamins.
- Fats make foods flavorful and help you feel full.
- Certain cells in your body need fats to help keep you warm.
- Your hair and skin need fats to stay strong and healthy.
Even though some fats can be good for you, learn the hidden dangers of one specific kind of fat on page 31 of 97 Favorite Foods Every Senior Should Eat.
- FC&A Staff Writer