5 Little-Known Nutrients with Huge Benefits!
Natural compounds in plants, called phytochemicals or phytonutrients, can have an amazing effect on your body. These substances found in fruits, vegetables, herbs, and spices are not considered essential, but they play an important role in your health!
Check out these 5 little-known nutrients that can work wonders for your body:
- Limonene: Clobbers cancer cells and keeps them from spreading! Find it in lime, lemon, and orange peels. Add zest from these to your meals to reap the benefits!
- Sterols and Stanols: Blocks bad fats from getting absorbed by your intestines, and lowers LDL cholesterol! Get them from asparagus, nuts and seeds, and whole grains!
- Tannins: Cancer-fighters with antioxidant abilities! Tea, cider, and chick peas contain them!
- Organosulfur: Found in chives, onions, and garlic, these trigger your body’s defenses against cancer. Tip: Chopping or crushing your garlic 10 minutes before cooking it boosts its cancer-fighting compounds!
- Chlorogenic acid: Coffee is loaded with this phytochemical that protects your central nervous system from diseases like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
And that’s not all plants can do … turn to page 264 in 97 Favorite Foods for Seniors to discover the plants that can ease your arthritis pain!
- FC&A Staff Writer